Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thing 8


I've used IM at home to keep in touch with my children...my only two buddies at home.

We've used GoogleTalk IM in our libraries for quite a while. I find it has been a great time saver. We get answers to quick questions almost immediately...no longer waiting for an email reply. Saves on long distance phone charges too.

I am familiar with text messaging though I have not used it.

I've taking part in several web conferences and online training. I even went to a workshop at NEFLIN on the OPAL web conferencing software tho I have not used it yet.

And I Twitter too. I've heard about this communication method but finally learned about it over Christmas. My son and I were visiting my daughter in California. Nathan keep messaging and when I asked him what he was doing, he explained and showed Twitter to me. He was tweeting about the Pacific Ocean instead of looking at it!

I can see uses for all of these communication methods in our libraries. Interacting with students where they live and communicate would help them think of libraries when they need information.

No comments:

Post a Comment